The original proprietor, Mr William Crisp, instructed the building of Squerryes Court in 1681. To this day, the house remains relatively unchanged. The Warde family came to Squerryes in 1731 and generations of the family have lived here ever since.
The house still contains artwork and original furniture collected by the family between 1747 and 1774. Included among this is a portrait of the family painted by John Wooton in 1735. Of particular note are the 18th Century Dutch and English collections, along with the set of early-English Soho tapestries and Japanese Imari porcelain.